Monday, May 08, 2006

Change of Pace

Today has been a nice mix of relaxing a bit after my adventures... and jumping right into the things that need to get done to continue those adventures. It feels like... well, my life. If that makes any sense. By that I mean, it feels like a natural extention of me, and the catch is... in a positive way (which has often been missing). I have spent much of the past year doing almost the exact same motions I am doing today. However, today I am doing them in a much more intentional way. I woke up with purpose. That can be a powerful thing.

At the moment I am in Berkeley eating lunch at one of my favorite sandwich places (Cafe Intermezzo). It is such an interesting contrast from being a couple of blocks off of University of Alabama's campus. I would love to pick up half the student body of each university and switch them... I wonder who would be the most frightened? The two campuses could possibly be polar opposites. I am glad though. In this current world of cookie cutter everything... where interchangeable suburbs are the norm (and even more sad is interchangeable downtown areas), it is good to see different areas of the country so unique in their population. It makes for interesting travels and I think a stronger fabric of our country.

Today: 3 miles
Week: 3 miles

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the marathon was fun but brutal, I ran a little quick for the first half for the plan I wanted to run, and immediately fell apart. Should have dropped out at 15, but continued and finished. It was horrible, but a good learning experience. Now I will try to get my redemption in Oct. and again next year.

First half felt easy at 1:12:00, but then I quickly lost control and realized how fast 2:25 really is, I will lower my standards a bit, and shoot for that after I have a few under my belt. Overall 2:53, but I will move on.

The two positives 1. Got some experience, and I finished, and
2. the 1:12 did feel easy.

Stanford ran a good race too, 1:15 more conservative and more intellegent than my race.

Thats how it went.

Tom

TreeBed said...

Hey man... at least you went for it!!! People can tell you (and you can tell yourself) to respect that last 10 (really 6-8) miles, but until you do it... you can't know how you will react. Next time you'll know how easy 1:16 will be for half, be chompin at the bit (but will wait, knowning what happened your first go), and then you will crank negative splits all the way home. If you choose to... you will get that 2:25.

Get a little rest, and start preparing for the next go...

Anonymous said...

1:12- Thats a great 1/2- good job

Quirke

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement, I'm not going to get upset over that one, just chalk it up to experience and move on like I said. The next one will be run completely differently, shoot for 2:30-35 or so, going out in 35 pace.

Another good sign, got that qualifier in by 16 min. and I struggled horribly, so you should be able to get that one in. Get back at it, and keep it going.

How are the new shoes, and the knees?

Tom