Friday, April 04, 2008

Trails

I am back on the campaign trail (my lady-friend works for Mr. Obama), and I have found myself in Indiana... yesterday for my run that placed me specifically on the campus of DePauw University. My body is a bit of a mess because of travel (oh, and not running for almost 2 years solid doesn't help either). However, I managed to find a very lovely trail system at DePauw's nature preserve. A well maintained crushed limestone surface (my favorite) rolled along gentle hills and through the rock cliffs of an old quarry. This was a treat to run on, and it coaxed me into pushing a little harder than my old bones were ready for... so, the end of my run saw a painful left knee, and some walking. It also brought out an ominous group of buzzards that were perched high in the trees above the rock cliffs. I did my best to NOT look like scavengers' dessert... feeling the metaphor (or maybe they really were waiting for me to keel over) motivating my posture into at least "looking" strong.

All in all it was good to get out into near ideal running conditions... something that has been hard to come by in Spencer as I have begun to get back into shape. Hopefully Spring will greet me on my return to Iowa.

Thursday: 2+ miles
Week: 2+ miles

No comments: