Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Comeback to Life

I have realized over the past few days that this running "comeback", is really a coming "back to life" for me. In many ways it mirrors my struggle to re-enter a healthy day to day exchange with my world. I have spent a great deal of time thinking about my dad the past few days (my father passed away about a year and a half ago), and done some reflecting on where I am with my grieving process. Just as my body became out of shape the past 3 years... my heart and mind also fell out of shape. When my dad began to deteriorate, I shut down how I interacted with the world. Part of running again is a desire to take care of myself again (not something I was concerned with for sometime). That is what made me acknowledge the bigger picture of me taking steps to move forward with my whole life, and not simply my fitness level. I wasn't sure if I was going to share this part of my process. However, I got an e-mail from a friend sharing his experience, and it touched me... one thing he said is "running is part of who we are". Running is a part of who I am... not as an action, but as a metaphor and an experience. If you look at how I approach my running, you will see keys to how I approach nearly everything else in my life. I am going to use that knowledge, and translate that to help put my "life" back to "who I want to be". I guess I am sharing this to inform you that this is a turning point for the little adventure known as Go Elvis! I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks, but it has already been so valuable for me... thank you for joining in. Your comments and encouragement have meant a great deal, and I hope we can continue to share something authentic here. Take care of yourselves, and I will continue to do the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear this out of you Micah. Just know, we're always here for you. Be open, and answer your damn phone once in a while.

ginelle said...

Milah - reading this inspires, gives hope, and is just good to read from you. We all lift you up on your comeback. TKB baby.
Gin