Thursday, December 08, 2005

No More Naked Wrist

Well, after some trials and tribulations... I finally have a watch on my wrist, for the first time since I stopped running. I decided to go the route of the Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) again. By no means would I say that a HRM is a necessary piece of running equipment. However, if you are a sort of a gadget person (I admittedly am), and like all the info you can get your hands on when it comes to your training... then a HRM could be right up your ally. I figured since I have quite a bit of heart rate data from old running logs (from when I was in really good shape), it might be interesting to compare how things are progressing now.

I went with the Polar S120 It doesn't have all the calorie stuff, or some of the other bells and whistles (mostly to do with weight control and tailoring your fitness plan). My main concerns were: heart rate monitoring (imagine that), splits, and it not being too big (I don't have a lot of wrist real estate)... oh and not spending a million dollars. I had a Polar before and was happy with it, and was happy to be a repeat buyer. Really my only issue with it (granted I haven't used it yet) is that it is a little bigger than I would like, but I think it will be fine. I brought another model home yesterday. It was a bit smaller, more expensive, and had the soft chest strap. However, when I looked up the specs, it didn't do splits. So back to REI today for a quick exchange. Even though I had to give up the soft chest strap with the less expensive model, it still is more comfortable than the old one I had. I will keep you posted on how it treats me. First test coming up soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But can it cook dinner? Who cares about what your Heart Rate is? Maybe you should look at the weight gain options...

Anonymous said...

You could at least tell how long your pasta has to boil...