Saturday, December 03, 2005

Something About Trails...

Today my run was done over in Marin, at China Camp State Park. It was another crisp and clear day (thankfully, since I gambled by not taking advantage yesterday), and the trails out there were in perfect condition. It doesn't get much better than a nice dirt trail that is damp from recent rain... not soggy and sloppy, but softened just a bit and no dust. It was the kind of run where you were the perfect temp in the sun, and could feel the slightest chill when you wandered under the cover of the trees. I had been out there once about 5 years ago when my dad first moved down here. It was nice to think back to that time... a bit sad, but good to remember a time when everyone was smiling and healthy. It made me feel blessed to be out on such a gorgeous day running again. I am a different runner when I get on a trail. I'm not exactly sure what gets transformed, but I am fed by it... in a way not usually present when pounding the pavement. I will admit that I was going too fast for my own good, but it felt healthy to push past comfortable. 3 miles is a distance you can still do that and come out ok, even better for it. So, 3 miles to end my week right on target (a pinch over). That is something that running again adds to my life. No matter what else happened this week, things not accomplished, or lost, or beaten up by... I did this, for me. A good thing for myself. When I am not running I don't always have that one thing to hold onto. It isn't much, but it is often the small rituals that we do for ourselves (the healthy ones... mostly) that keep all the other craziness in check. Remove that one tiny gear, and the whole system could be out of whack. That is something I took for granted in my competitive days. By stepping away from running and then coming back to it, I can now see that benefit very clearly.

Today: 3 miles
Week: 12+ miles

No comments: