Saturday, January 14, 2006

A Good Place to Start

This was a great initial "organized run"! Very non-competitive environment... basically a bunch of people getting together to enjoy a challenging run in a beautiful place. Here are some details of the day:

Waking up early this morning was a strangely familiar ritual. On my drive over to the run I thought about all my Saturday mornings at Graceland, getting up while everyone else on the hall was sleeping off whatever fun they had the night before. Check, and then re-check to make sure you have everything (check a third time for shoes and jersey ;-), then stumble down to the vans to drive off to who knows where. Grab a bagel or whatever was in "the box" we got from the commons. That really was a great time. I thought about all the little routines you build into your race day. Some are practical, and others purely ritual. I saw that this morning, each person having their little tricks. Since I was there alone (eh hem, mr. bessie ;-) it was nice to sit back and take it all in. Reconnect with all those little things that I forgot about race days... pinning a number to my jersey, lines for the bathroom, all the unique clothing choices, cute/fit runner girls, a general sense of community... an honored connection that you were all in this together. Some quiet and reflective, others giggling and joking, but no matter the outcome each runner was there looking for... there is a respect that if you were there, then good for you! It was nice to absorb.

As far as the race goes, it was up... then down. Right off the bat you had to climb a very steep series of stairs (I wasn't sure what I got myself into at that point), and then it was still a good bit of uphill to the halfway point. So, needless to say the first half was pretty slow. However, after going down for a bit, we then got on a good stretch of flat... that was the fun part. There was a guy just far enough ahead of me to make a good challenge to go after him. I forgot how much fun (and how much it hurts) to decide you are going to catch someone, and then go do it. The other highlight was some spectacular views... at one point we came around a corner, and there was the Golden Gate... I had to slow a bit just to take it in properly. I will definitely be doing some more of the Pacific Coast Trail Runs! It is a great chance to meet people, and get out on some awesome courses.

My shins are a little sore from the pounding they took coming down the hill, but for the most part I feel pretty good. Except for the part when I went after that guy, I didn't run much faster than any of my training runs.

Today: 6 miles
Week: 22 miles

4 comments:

ginelle said...

way to go milah...since I haven't been a "runner" for very long I find it cool to read your perspectives on race day (and other days for that matter). today, your writing brings me back to mornings in the ice rink and competition days. I guess individual competitive sports all have parallel rituals as well as sacrifices. (like sleeping in). Run milah run.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got a race in and got back into it, I'm sure this felt good for you. It's nice to see you back at it again. I ran Houston Half Marathon and felt like I finally had a breakout race, not so much in the final time half time, but throughout the race. (PR's in everything above 5k and only one second off in that).

Final Time 1:09.37

5k split, 15:34, probably too fast, but o well (5:02 first mile, 4:53 for # 2)
4 mile total was 20:02,
5 mile was 25:20
10k was 31:53
10 mile was 52:20

Yeah, I kind slowed up, but oh well, for me I still ran pretty fast and the beginning felt slow, there were so many good runners there it made it feel easy.

Now it's your time to get back up to the point where everything starts clicking for you again. You're probably closer than you think, just keep it giong and see what happens when you find a race that you really want to go after.
You will surprise yourself!

Tom

TreeBed said...

Damn Tom!!! That is awesome! I got a while before I am putting up times like that. That is impressive stuff given you are working full time and training on the side. Keep it rolling! Whats next?

Anonymous said...

Micah,

Thanks Man

As of right now the next big one for me is the Full Marathon here in Lincoln on May 7th, (as long as I can stay healthy). There is a 10 miler here in late March, and a 10k in April, which will both be tune up races. So for now it will be continuing to plug in a lot of miles. (Basically like your last summer at GU)